No doubt, there is no need to enclose any documents with income tax return now. But it is advisable that you should prepare all supporting documents on the behalf of you filed income tax return. As Assessing Officer may demand these documents at any time after the filing of income tax return.
No documents to be attached with income tax return forms. You just prepare these documents and kept with you for future reference.
- Statement of computation of Income
- TDS Certificate in Form 16 or 16A
- Balance sheet, profit & loss account, capital account and audit report if applicable
- Proof of receipts and payment
- Interest certificates like housing loan interest, personal loan interest
- Deductions proof like children school fees, insurance premium receipts, provident fund, NSCs, mutual fund, NSS, donations, claimed insurance policies
- Any other documents which may be necessary to claim as a proof
The above documents are no need to attach with income tax return but all is for your help in future to use as a proof or supporting documents.
According to CBDT Circular No. 3/2009 dt. 21.5.2009 it has been clarified that
The tax-audit report shall neither be attached with the return nor furnished separately. However, audit shall be completed and audit report shall be obtained before the due date.
No other document, statutory form or audit report (except report u/s 92E) shall be attached with the return. All these documents should be retained by the assesse and furnished in original during security proceeding.