e-Way bill has become a doorway to handle inter-state flow of goods for the Government. However, transshipment of goods remains one of the core areas where most of the people get confused. IN this article, we would be discussing in detail about transhipment of goods.
What is Transshipment?
The term ‘transshipment’ refers to a shift in mode of transport for a particular goods. In simple words, transshipment means a form of transport where various modes of transport such as rail, air and land are involved.
For the purpose of e-Way bill, transshipment can take place under the following conditions:
- Breakdown of original vehicle that was carrying the goods
- Change of vehicle – from large to smaller
- Change in mode of transport – from road to rail or vice-versa
Is new e-Way bill required during Transshipment?
- There is no need to generate a fresh e-Way bill in case of transshipment. The rule is one e-Way bill for one supply. Even if transhipment is involved, only one supply is being made and hence, the supplier needs to have just one e-Way bill. In case there is a change of vehicle or medium of transport during transit then the supplier only needs to UPDATE the existing e-Way bill. E-Way bill can be updated either by the website or SMS.
Updating e-Way bill for transshipment
The present transporter is allowed to update the Part-B of eway Bill. The generator can also update the Part-B bill in case of transshipment if transporter has not been assigned.
For the purpose of updating an e-Way bill, the following steps are required:
Step 2 – Go to e-Way bill section and select the option “Update Part B/Vehicle”.
Step 3 – Update the vehicle number on Part B of the e-Way Bill. If there are more than one change in mode of transport, then the same can also be done via bulk option.
Step 4 – Enter the existing e-Way bill number
Step 5 – Make an update for change in transport. Insert information with respect to “Mode of Transport”, “Vehicle Type”, “Vehicle No.”, “Place of Change”, “Status of Change”, “Reason” and “Airway Bill No & Date” (if any).
When e-Way bill is not required to be update for transhipment
- In a situation where goods are being transported to place from where export takes place.
- In a situation where goods are within a radius of 50 kms from the place of supplier.
- In a situation where goods have been shifted from one vehicle to another, but the new vehicle does not run of motor.
Thus, we find that the in case of transhipment, no new e-way bill is required. Rather, all that the supplier needs to do is update the existing e-Way bill by logging into the e-Way bill portal and updating the Part B of existing e-Way bill. Additionally, there are also a few exceptions where transhipment doesn’t require an e-Way bill.
- E-way bill may be updated with vehicle number any number of times.
- You can edit the eway bill after generating it. However you can cancelled within 24 hours of generation.
- You can also update vehicle detail in bulk for multiple eway bills in one go.
Have questions or queries? We are always ready to help. Use the comment section to post your questions or doubts.