gst.gov.in is GST official common portal designed for GST registered dealers to maintain their cash ledger, electronic credit ledger, payment of GST, Filing GST returns, GST notices.
So it is very easy for GST registered dealer to check all latest updates on their GSTN online.
You don’t need to visit GST offices for various work. gst.gov.in itself do your various work only by one login.
In this article, we will be discussing about the login procedure on gst.gov.in
First time login on gst.gov.in
When a user wishes to use the GST common portal for the first time, he or she needs to register with the respective website. For the purpose of registration, the user will need to have a registered GST number. Now let’s take a quick look into the process.
Step -1 Log in to www.gst.gov.in
Step – 2 Once the webpage has loaded. Look at the top right-hand side of the page where it says “Login”. Click on that option.
Step – 3 A new page will open up where Username and Password would be required. Since, it’s your first login, click on the “click here” option towards the bottom of the page.
Step – 4 The page will take you to the register page. Here you would be required to enter your GSTIN/ UIN/ Provisional ID along with your chosen password. Once you are done, click on Login.
Step – 5 Once you have successfully logged in, your business’ name would appear on the top right side along with a dashboard that helps you determine various statuses.
Log in for Existing users on gst.gov.in
Once you have registered with the website, you are can easily login with the help of User ID and password. Let’s take a look at the login process for existing users.
Step -1 Log in to www.gst.gov.in
Step -2 Click on the ‘login’ option on the top right-hand side of the webpage.
Step -3 On the new page, enter your username and password. Once done, click on the login button.
Step -4 After logging in, you will find your dashboard along with your business’ name on the right-hand side of the webpage.
Forget Username Option on gst.gov.in
In case you do not remember your username, you can click on the ‘Forgot Username’ option on the login page and enter your GSTIN/ UIN/ Provisional ID. The phone number associated with that GSTIN/ UIN/ Provisional ID will receive an OTP. Insert that OTP on the given page and you will have your username.
Forgot Password Option on gst.gov.in
In case you do not remember your password, you can click on the ‘Forgot Password’ option on the login page and enter your username. The phone number associated with the registered username will receive an OTP. Insert that OTP on the give page and you will get an option to reset your password.
Thus, we find that the process of registering and logging in on the GST Common portal is very simple. Any person with basic knowledge of internet can do it within a matter of minutes. Tracking the pending agendas can be done through the dashboard.
Some Important FAQ
1. I have completed all the steps for the first-time login and I have been directed to a new credentials page. What should I do?
You need to create your username and password to login to the GST Portal. For subsequent logins, you will use the username created now.
2. The system is not accepting the password I am entering. Are there any special requirements for setting the password?
Your password should be of 8 to 15 characters which should comprise of at least one number, special character and letter (at least one upper and lower case).
3. I have logged in to the GST Portal for first time. I am prompted to file an amendment application to enter Bank Account details. Why?
Post grant of GSTIN, when you login for the first time on the GST Portal, you will be prompted to file a non-core amendment application to enter Bank Accounts details.
4. I have logged in to the GST Portal for first time. Where can I enter Bank Account Details?
You can file a non-core amendment application to enter Bank Accounts details.
5. I have forgotten my username. How do I retrieve it?
Please use the Forgot Username link available on the login page to retrieve your username.
6. I have forgotten my password. How do I reset it?
Please use the Forgot Password link available on the login page to reset your password.
7. How long is my password valid?
Your password is valid for 120 days.
8. What is Captcha Code? Why do I need to fill it?
Captcha Code is a numeric code that must be filled every time you login to the GST Portal. It has been added as an additional security measure.
9. The Captcha Code provided is not legible. What should I do?
You can click the refresh icon next to the code and the system will generate a new code for you.
FAQs Related to Resetting Password on gst.gov.in
1. How can I reset the password to login to the GST Portal in case the Primary Authorized Signatory has died or is not traceable?
1. In case the Primary Authorized Signatory has died or is not traceable, you need to approach relevant jurisdictional Tax Officer to get the password for the GSTIN allotted to your business. You can check your jurisdiction in the Registration Certificate. Alternatively, you can check the Dashboard > My Profile section to check your Jurisdiction.
2. You need to provide valid documentation to validate the business details related to your GSTIN.
3. Tax officer will check if the said person is added as a Stakeholder or Authorized Signatory for that GSTIN in the system.
4. Tax officer will upload sufficient proof on the GST Portal in support to authenticate the activity.
5. Tax officer will enter the email address and mobile phone number provided by you.
6. After upload of document, Tax officer will reset the password for the GSTIN in the system.
7. Username and Temporary password reset will be communicated to the email address as entered by the Tax Officer in your jurisdiction (in the email which is provided to you).
8. Next you need to login to the GST Portal available at https://www.gst.gov.in/ and login using the First time login link. You will be forced to change your username and password after first time login with the Username and Temporary password that was emailed on the updated e-mail address of the Primary Authorized Signatory.
2. How can I set a new Primary Authorized Signatory in the GST Portal in case the Primary Authorized Signatory has died or is not traceable? How can I add a new Authorized Signatory in the GST Portal?
In case the Primary Authorized Signatory has died or is not traceable, you need to approach relevant jurisdictional Tax Officer to set a new Authorized Signatory in the GST Portal.
You can check your jurisdiction in the Registration Certificate. Alternatively, you can check the My Profile section to check your Jurisdiction.
3. Can a Jurisdictional Officer add a taxpayer as an Authorized signatory?
Yes, a Jurisdictional Officer can add a taxpayer as an Authorized signatory.
4. Can a Jurisdictional Officer add two Authorized signatories for a single GSTIN?
Yes, a Jurisdictional Officer can add two Authorized Signatories for a single GSTIN but primary Authorized Signatory can only be one.
5. Can a Jurisdictional Officer mark an existing promoter/ partner as a Primary Authorized signatory?
Yes, a Jurisdictional Officer can mark an existing promoter/ partner as a Primary Authorized Signatory after proper authentication.