The purpose of GSTIN is to serve as a unique identification alphanumeric code whereby the authority would be able to track the registered dealers. You can get the registered dealers detail by entering GSTIN like name of business, jurisidcation, active or deactivate status and more. Government has created GST common portal with lots of option like know your GSTIN, track your GSTIN, GSTIN Application status, Search GSTIN of Composition Scheme dealers. We have given the list of helpful official links to know GSTIN detail.
To put in simple words, GSTIN is your mark of identity in front of the authority who supervise GST Act in India. GSTIN is an abbreviation for Goods and Service Tax Identification Number.
How to Identify a GSTIN?
GSTIN is a 15-digit unique alphanumeric code that is created with the help of state code, PAN card number, entity number of the same PAN holder in a state, Alphabet ‘Z’ and check sum digit.
The combination results in development of a 15-digit unique number that the Government recognizes as GSTIN number.
Know Detail of GSTIN
Creation of a GSTIN number- decoded!
- The first 2 digits of the GSTIN is the state code as per the Indian Census (2011). This means that every state is given a unique code. For example- dealers who would apply for GSTIN from Delhi will have their code starting with 07.
- Digits from 3rd place to 12th place would be same as the PAN card of the dealer.
- The 13th digit would be given on the basis of number of registration within that given state.
- The 14th digit is permanent at the alphabet “Z”.
- The 15th and the last digit would be a check code and can be either a number or an alphabet.
Here is an example:
Requirements for Obtaining GSTIN
Dealers who are required to obtain GSTIN number from the department would be first required to furnish the following documents:
- PAN Card number
- Jurisdiction information
- Bank details – bank’s name, bank account number, branch name, etc.
- Bank IFSC Code
- An identity corresponding to PAN (can be Karta/ Partner/ Director/ Trustee/ Proprietor, etc.)
- Authorized signatory
- Business Address
- Verified email address
- Phone number
- Other documents as specified by the department.
Is GSTIN costly?
GSTIN is just like the previous identification cards; it is cost-free. A user is not required to pay even a single rupee for the purpose of obtaining GST. All that he/ she needs to do is visit the official website/ physical office and submit the required documents. The GSTIN will be reach the user within a few days.
Have questions? Feel free to use the comment section!