e-Way bills have become mandatory these days for inter-state & intra state transport. In this article, we will be discussing on how to modify, reject and cancel e-Way bills under GST in a very simple and step by step manner. Given the complexities of trade and transport, parties require functions which are not only limited to generating an e-Way bill. They also need the facility of modifying an e-Way bill, rejecting an e-Way bill, cancelling an e-Way will along with generating consolidated e-Way bills. Let’s have a look into these facilities one by one:
Cancellation of e-Way bill
There may be a scenario where the goods which were about to be sent to the recipient have been cancelled. The reason may vary from cancellation of deal to difficulty of shipment at the current period. In this case, the generator of the e-Way bill may choose to cancel the e-Way bill. However, it must be done within 24 hours from the time when the e-Way bill was generated.
How to cancel e-Way bill?
For the purpose of cancelling an e-Way bill, the supplier/ transporter/ recipient, as the case may be, should follow the given steps:
- Login to the e-Way bill website – ewaybill.nic.in
- Go to ‘e-Waybill’ section and select ‘Cancel’ option from the dropdown menu.
- Enter the existing e-Way bill number that needs to be cancelled.
- Give a valid reason for cancellation of e-Way bill.
Note: It is ILLEGAL to use an e-Way bill which has been cancelled earlier.
Rejection of e-Way bill
A recipient of goods reserves the right to reject an e-Way bill. Many a time it has been seen that the supplier and the recipient of goods couldn’t agree to mutual terms while the goods are in transit. Under this condition, the deal may get off and the recipient has the right to reject an e-Way bill. However, there are 2 things which should be present with the recipient at the time of rejection-
- e-Way bill number
- Date on which the e-Way bill was generated
How to reject e-Way bill?
For the purpose of rejecting an e-Way bill, the recipient needs to follow the given steps:
- Login to the e-Way bill website
- Go to ‘e-Way bill’ section and select ‘Reject’ option from the dropdown box.
- The date on which the e-Way bill was generated needs to be selected
- A list of e-Way bills will appear (that were generated on the mentioned date)
- Choose the e-Way bill that is required to be rejected.
Note: Rejection of e-Way bill should be done within 72 hours from the date of generation of e-Way bills.
Updating Vehicle number on an e-Way bill
When there is a change in vehicle/ conveyance during transit, the generator of the e-Way is required to update the current vehicle number. The reason for change of vehicle can range from vehicle breakdown to suitability of road.
How to update vehicle number on e-Way bill?
For the purpose of updating vehicle number on the e-Way bill, the user needs to follow the given steps:
- Login to e-Way bill portal
- Go to ‘e-Way bill’ section and select ‘Update Vehicle No’ option from the dropdown box.
- Select the required e-Way bill by either entering the date on which the e-Way bill was generated or the e-Way bill number.
- Enter the updated vehicle information. This will allow you to update areas such as new vehicle number, place, reason for change and remarks.
- Click on ‘Submit’ button after rechecking the mentioned information.
Note: In case of a consolidated e-Way bill, replace the second step. Go to ‘e-Way bill’ section à‘Consolidated EWB’ and select ‘Re-Generate’ option from the dropdown box. Also, if the mode the mode of transport is changed, then enter ‘Transport Document Number’ instead of ‘Vehicle No.’
Update Transporter ID on an e-Way bill
A rare case is change of transporter. Under this scenario, the supplier can change the transporter in e-Way bill, if required as per the situation. Additionally, the transporter himself can update this section and replace himself with some other transporter with the help of Transporter ID.
How to update Transporter ID on e-Way bill?
For the purpose of updating transporter ID on the e-Way bill, the user needs to follow the given steps:
- Login to e-Way bill portal
- Go to ‘e-Way bill’ section and select ‘Update EWB Transporter’ option from the dropdown box.
- Enter the existing e-Way bill number and click on ‘Go’
- Enter the new transporter’s ID and click ‘Submit’. The website will automatically generate the transporter’s detail and create an updated e-Way bill.
- Take a print of the updated e-Way bill and circulate to the required people.
Have questions? Let us answer them for you! We will be looking for your questions in our comments section.